One cold and dreary damp evening, I noticed a large mansion house. The house was illuminated with an abundance of lights. I had never seen such dazzlement before.
I crouched below the windowsill alongside the thorny hedge, in the grounds of this beautiful abode. The pale green plush velvet curtains were draped to either side of the window and gave me a full view of this luxurious drawing room.
My eyes first sighted a glorious red leather Chesterfield suite. My bones ached at the site. How I could have just curled up on that soft shiny suite and dreamed dreams forever.
My eyes had flitted across the spacious room. It was full of expensive antique furniture. I also saw a bowl of fruit which was set on a silver salver; on the side of a mahogany corner unit. Apples, bananas, grapes, oranges and peaches made an awesome display. My mouth ached for the taste of such fruit and my belly somersaulted at the thought.
What kind of world was I in, that me a mere tramp with no possessions, home, or family, has caught this glimpse of a non-mirage of beauty. I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. My damp dirty clothing stuck to my body. I had a longing to be in a warm, dry, comfortable place.
This longing had been with me for sometime now. I had even contemplated on taking my own life. But something in my head stops me.
As I gazed around the exquisite room, a photograph hung on the chimney breast wall displaying a young man in uniform. My body was shaking by now from my head to my toes. I wondered, was I going down with something.
The face in the photograph seemed to stare right through me. Panic set in me. It isn't possible, I remember thinking. By this time I had gone crashing through the prickly hedge, where I had previously been kneeling.
When I awoke, I was no longer peering from the outside in. I was now inside this luxurious drawing room. My eyes met face to face, with the same man that I had seen in the picture frame. He was standing over me now, in the flesh.
I began crying uncontrollably. Within seconds he too began sobbing. We just stared into each others eyes. ''Yes, he said, I know who you are''?
Everything from the past came flooding back. This was my long lost son I had not seen for twenty years. His mother and me were so in love, we wanted to spend our lives together. Alas, her father wouldn't allow it.
Maggie, who was Tony's mother, was eighteen at the time she conceived my son. She was from a wealthy background and I was a mere farm labourer. Maggie's parents helped in the upbringing of our son. They had a great influence over her and constantly rowed about her marrying me.
During that month of June in the seventies, they forbade her to see me again. When I eventually called at her home, all the furniture had been covered with white sheets. Unknown to me they had gone abroad to live. I never set eyes on my son or girl friend again.
Tony, my son, had been listening attentively throughout. He said that his mother had always talked well of me and always said that she would never love anyone else.
My life as a vagabond has now been long gone. I am catching up on those long lost years I was without my son. I know I cannot make up for the years Tony had not been fathered, but I will endlessly do my best. Now I am living and working along side of Tony and my life is more than fulfilled. My love for Maggie had never ceased. She had died, five years ago. I believe she made sure I went to this place to ensure a new life and new beginning, with our son Tony.
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello All Bloggers.
I am quite excited now that I have submitted a few posts and hope all my readers will enjoy. I know too well that I will enjoy yours too.xxx Would love to hear loads of comments on my work also as long as they are honest and true.xxx
Books To Read And Included Are Creative Writing Books For My Course.
- The Poet's Companion. A Guide To The Pleasures Of Writing Poetry.
Blog Archive
Links
Love Of Words
- waywithwords
- Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
- I am a mature student studying creative writing on level 2 and a mother and grandmother and wife. I live life to the full and make each day count.

No comments:
Post a Comment